Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Royal River Park, Yarmouth Maine

Activity:  Walking (while I try not to qualify places based on difficulty... this is an easy adventure!)


Address/Location: 11 Elm St. Yarmouth, ME


Cost: FREE!
 
Parking: There is a parking area with room for more than a dozen vehicles. 

FMI:  Visit the park's website here

 ** This is a great area for kayaking too!  (Although the paddling would be above the dam and this walk is along the river below the dam.) Check out my kayaking entry about it here.


Notes: I met up with some friends for brunch on Sunday.  (See info on brunch at the bottom of this post.)  I was a little stiff from the Mount Washington excursion and asked what was nearby for a short walk... I had thought about going to Mackworth Island..(How have I not yet posted about Mackworth? hmmmm)  because it is so nice and it is a beginner friendly hike along the water... but also thought trying someplace new would be nice.  My friend suggested Royal River Park which was right in Yarmouth... so that's where we went! 

The park is beautiful.  I can picture people here in the summer playing frisbee and having picnics. 


The path was paved and was mostly cleared off... 

There were some places that were covered in ice. 

The trail takes you along the river and there are some signs that provide information about this park/this area. 


Gladys seemed to like it here! 

Below the dam/waterfall the ducks gathered on the ice... 

They approached us as we approached them... I think people probably feed them here.  
To my surprise... Gladys did not try to chase them! 

The trail enters a wooded area..


...and comes to a footbridge that crosses the river


Looking at Rt. 1


We turned around not far after this dam... 


On our way back... Gladys decided to take a break as I took a photo...



Just before returning to the parking area I noticed this little kiosk and a book borrowing center... I love this idea! 

Gladys was pretty thirsty after our walk...

This is a GREAT place to walk.  There were a few other people on the trail and a few other dogs.  If I had a criticism of this park... it would actually be a criticism of some of the dog owners who walk their dogs here... Sadly there was a lot of dog poop along the trail... C'mon people... clean up after your dogs so we can continue to bring them with us!!  

This was a short walk... and would be a great place to go if you want to start hiking... you can go as far as you want and if it isn't long enough, you could go back and forth!  (It may be too easy... or it may be just right!) 

 Enjoy!!




Brunch/Breakfast: We went to Stones Cafe & Bakery in North Yarmouth.  Other than our waitress wanting the chef to come out to meet me and stand up to show how tall I was... the food was really good!  I had their California omelet  and instead of the toast and potatoes I had a grilled blueberry muffin.  It was very good!  Though my friends had ordered toast which looked AMAZING! 
(The waitress didn't have bad intentions, but... can't I just eat my breakfast without a side of sideshow? I am tall... yes... super tall... but I don't need to have people try to do height comparisons when I am just trying to have breakfast with friends... my friend's daughter asked why people don't just let me eat my breakfast!  Oh well... it is part of what happens to me when I go out... restaurants, grocery stores.... bathrooms... )




No comments:

Post a Comment