Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Mackworth Island, Falmouth


I am not sure why I have not yet done a post on Mackworth Island... But.. here it is!  (I am combining a couple of adventures I did there.) 

Activity: Snowshoeing/walking/hiking (1.25 miles around the island)

Address/Location: 1 Mackworth Island, Falmouth


Cost:  $3 per adult... according to a webpage about state parks, but I don't remember seeing any place to pay... but my memory could be deceiving me!

Parking: there is a parking lot, fitting ohhh 10-15 vehicles...

FMI: Here is a link about the trail... here is another


Gladys (Dog) Friendly: Yes... Leashed!


Notes: Last March I was a few months into my wellness journey... and on a snowday from school I reached out to Shannon, from Fitmaine... to see if she wanted to go snowshoeing with me.  It was the first time I had invited her to do something active... and I was a little intimidated that she would be running way ahead of me and that I would feel way out of shape... even though I was in the process of having lost some weight... and was feeling pretty darn good!  I didn't think she would want to go or would be able to go... but she said Yes!  We had a very nice time... we talked about a lot of things... and we stuck together... I never felt slower than her, less skilled than her, or less than... in any way... That.. my friends is, to me, part of the beauty of Shannon and FitMaine.  

The day I was there last march, was almost a year ago, to the day... and I found a picture from a year ago to compare to now.... 60 lbs between these two photos... and lots of miles, challenges, laughter, adventures, and focus.... Make yourself a priority... it is worth it!! 



Ok... back to Mackworth!  


This is the field not far from the parking area... 


Mackworth is BEAUTIFUL! 




The trail here is really popular so even on days where you anticipate needing snowshoes the trail is usually packed down enough that microspikes are probably enough... that being said... it is a great place to practice snowshoeing!  There are some hills and some obstacles like roots.. so it is a great place to work on your skills.  
Because it is on the ocean there are times that there is more melting than you may anticipate so... in some places you may find puddles beneath the snowcover... and the wet snow may get stuck to your snowshoes... but there are benches along the way where you can stop to bang the snow off! 



One of the unique part of Mackworth is the fairy village!  
Amidst the tall pine trees people stop to build fairy houses.  It is pretty cool.  And... don't be fooled... fairy house building is NOT just for kids!! 

Because this is an island there are water views everywhere! 

Gladys likes it here!  


Isn't she cute!

Along one part of the island there is a breakwater... I am not sure of what the story is with it.. but I am sure there is an interesting history!  






Mackworth does have an interesting educational history... including Baxter School for the deaf... 

I would say this is a great place for beginner hikers.  You get some ups and downs and you have to watch where you step... you need to wear adequate footwear... I would discourage flip flops!!  

It is a great place to start believing you are a hiker! 


No comments:

Post a Comment