Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Mill Brook Preserve, Presumpscot Regional Land Trust, Westbrook

Activity: Snowshoeing/hiking (I wore my snowshoes... but read on to learn why I wish I had worn my microspikes!) 

Address/Location: Mills Brook Preserve.  The parking area/trailhead I used (there are 3 to access this land) is technically on Methodist Road in Westbrook,  just before Rt. 302.  (Oh... we did access another part of this area and parked at an alternate place to access the 'waterfall' area... we parked on the edge of a private road close to 789 Methodist Rd. Parking is VERY limited there...and apparently the people who live on the private road do not welcome people parking there... too bad... because I wouldn't dare park on Methodist Road... too narrow...maybe without snow there is a better parking area... ) 

(this is a map screenshot from google) 


Cost:  Free!  But you can always donate to the Presumpscot Regional Land Trust, become a member, or volunteer with them to say thanks! 
 
Parking: There is a parking area for maybe 8 to 10 vehicles when there is no snow... and if some cars park in front of each other... sorry I forgot to take a pic!

FMI: To learn more about the amazing work of the Presumpscot Regional Land Trust, visit their website!  And more specific info about Mill Brook Preserve here.  

Notes: My Goodness! This was BEAUTIFUL!!  I have been working to embrace winter and in all of my adventures I have to say this one... is one of the prettiest!  Truly!  I am so grateful to my neighbor (the one who also took me snowshoeing on the land owned by Portland Water District!)  for inviting me to go snowshoeing again and for introducing me to this beautiful spot.  

Despite the fact that I fell a few times...and despite that it was challenging... I can definitely tell you I will be returning!  

I should first, before describing how incredible this place is, tell you about the difficulty of this route.... From the parking area/trailhead you go down a pretty steep bank to access the trail.  (There are 2 entries, one is slightly less steep than the other.)  The steep factor of the hills here is something to consider... we did quite a bit of up and down... and the ups and downs were narrow and had some very sharp turns to zig zag up/down a hill... probably to help those of us using this land as well as erosion.  We went for a while... and after we got to an open part of the trail that transitions into a bog area (that is muddy) we started to go up another steep hill with sharp turns, and no trees to use as handholds... and I opted to say I needed to stop.  I felt like I could have kept going if I was wearing my microspikes but... the trail was narrow and steep... and the snowshoes are clunky and side by side were wider than the trail at spots, specifically the hills... So... I would say if you plan on snowshoeing here, take your microspikes with you as backup... you may decide to switch out. (I wish I had started with my microspikes vs. snowshoes!) 

Ok.. back to the fun stuff!!  After descending the first hill we were right next to the brook.  When I looked left I could see under Rt. 302... I know that there is a dam not too far beyond that... where water from Highland Lake drains into the brook.  I have kayaked Highland Lake... of course!!  (Click the link for more info on paddling there!) 
 

I was excited that the trail began along the water... and was so pleasantly surprised that the entire trail stays along the brook.  Granted we were way above the brook at points, but we could always see and hear it.  I was so excited that it was sunny!  The light coming in was amazing! 



I can't believe that I am this close to this preserve and had not yet come here until today!  As you can see from this pic, the trail gets really close to the water. 


This is from atop one of the steep hills... the steep hills were both a very good workout and intimidating!  This is the hardest terrain I have snow shoed... I am proud that I challenged myself... but also want to make sure people give themselves permission to turn back when it feels too much!  I did!!   (More on that later!)


At certain places we could hear the vehicles on nearby roads, but for the most part it was very peaceful and the roaring of the brook was louder than any traffic. 

Along the trail there were multiple benches.  I can totally see spending time here just listening to the water and relaxing... or reading.  I think that there is enough of a canopy that even in the summer these woods would be cooler than other places!  (Of course there may be mosquitoes or blackflies too!)

I tried to have Gladys sit in the sun for a photo... instead she laid down and smelled the snow.  

I could have taken even more photos, because it was so pretty!  


 We stopped a few times for photo opps of course... I was excited to get a non selfie with my girl in a beautiful place.  I knelt down to try to get a great photo... and I consciously was going to do the wedding proposal kneel... left leg up, right leg as the knee I was resting on... (my right knee is my 'good' knee... so I thought it would be easier...) As I tried to get into that position, my right knee did not cooperate as much as I expected... (still stiff from the POUND class!! ha!)  And... I fell... sideways.. towards the river!  I am sure that a video of that would have been able to win some award! 
But... I learned that I can fall without injuring myself... granted it was not a far fall.... ha ha!  But... my knee moved in a weird way... and I was able to get back up!  During that... moment.. when I fell the water bottles that were in my waist pack fell out and down to the water... one of them opened and had spilled.  (Lesson for hiking... only take water bottles with screw tops just in case you drop them!)  
Eventually I was able to upright myself and get Gladys to kind of pose... and we got the picture!  (Thanks to my neighbor!!) 


We went further... until I opted out... 
We had crossed over a boggy area (Gladys got a little muddy!) and had started to go up another steep hill.. and there were no good places to hold on if you started to fall.  

Narrow Trail.  Steep Incline. WIDE snowshoes. No security trees...
All of those factors made me say... "I think it is best if I turn around at this point." 

Here is a screenshot from the Trail map from PRLT.org... I added the red arrow that indicates that we were entering the 'difficult' part of the trail... When I saw that on the map, I admit, I felt validated!  
Again, If I had been wearing microspikes I think I would have kept going... but... I had already fallen down a few times... And... I knew I was going to be returning over the same hilly trail I had already been on... So.. for me I knew it was time to turn around.  
My adventure partner for the day, my neighbor, could have kept going I am sure.  I did apologize to her for deciding to turn around... I was sorry that perhaps she wanted to go further, but... I was not sorry for needing to turn around.  (She was great about it!)  

 
 So we turned back and headed back to the trailhead/parking area.  

 On the way back some of the steep hills going down were tough... and a couple of times I opted to sit down and scoot down part of the trail.  I would recommend this if you feel it is safer!  (I am really glad I have snow pants!!) 

She suggested that on our way home we make one other stop, to see the 'waterfall' area of the brook... I was all in!  

(I should say.. one of the things this preserve is known for is the alewive migration.  Now that I know where to go to see this I will definitely be checking it out this spring. See more info online!)

PART II
"The Waterfall" 

As I mentioned above, parking here was not ideal.   We parked road side-ish on the private road near a sign that indicated the trailhead.  From here, the walk to the 'waterfall' was not far... but it did start out with a rather large hill... going down... a hill that was also a snowmobile trail... so kind of slick...It would have been a fun hill for sledding!! 

Oh.. I should mention..for this part I switched over to my microspikes.. which I lovingly refer to as my 'bad ass spikes!'  I was glad I did, especially for that hill... but ironically the other part of the trail would have been good for snowshoeing!!  ha ha! 

Once we were at the base of the hill there were some signs for the trail and signs for the snowmobile trail. It seemed that there was a place where at least one snowmobile had gone that was not part of the snowmobile trail... please... remember when using land... respect the trails and the rules.  We are lucky people allow us to be on this land!  

There was part of the water here that was slower moving ant some ice had formed on the surface. 

A snowmobiler!  When on trails that allow for snowmobiles, keep your eyes and EARS open... sometimes they go really fast and you don't want to get hit!  This person was going really slowly as they passed.  Thank you!!  Also... I was glad that I had Gladys on a leash (she is always on a leash) because having snowmobiles around if she was off leash would make me nervous! And would be hard for the snowmobilers to see her I am sure... 

This trail again went right along the water.  

There is a map posted... My neighbor was showing me some of the routes... we were just there to see the falls... 

Amigo!! 
This guys is such a great dog!  I am so glad that he and Gladys are getting to know each other a little bit.  I think that having them interact while also doing an activity is a great option... they did not overfocus on each other... they played a little when we would pause... and at one point when their leashes got tied up, and Gladys started to freak out a little... we were able to separate them without incident and afterwards they still liked each other...  and still interacted.  I still have a lot to learn about dogs and their behavior...

The water was so clear!  It is hard to see in the photo, but you can see the rocks on the bottom of the brook.  


This is part of the waterfall.  The waterfall is gradual... but so pretty!  My neighbor  said that in the snowless months there are some large flat rocks here... sounds like a good place to dip your toes in the summer! 


My neighbor said that in a conversation with someone who had donated a lot of land for this preserve, that this waterfall is known as "Goldilocks"... because if the water is too high or too low the alewives can't get up the brook for spawning.. so the water levels have to be 'juuuuust right!'  
Later in the day I was talking with someone...about how cool it is that someone like that has such knowledge of this history of these areas... the art of storytelling is something I appreciate...especially oral storytelling... We need to somehow preserve that art... 

We sat for a few minutes just listening to the water...

Gladys really relaxed! 
 (A friend saw this photo and asked if Gladys's backpack is too tight... I assure you it is plenty loose on her.  She is such a fluffy girl that she looks bigger than she is.  I can put my thumbs together and my middle fingers together when I try to fit my hands around her waist.  when she is soaked she is a drowned rat!  She is a long dog, but skinny!  Healthy, but skinny!) 


I was able to snap a pic of Amigo and his mom... I am glad I am getting to know them!  

 Not far from  there the sun was shining so nicely on this tree... that it begged for a photo... so a selfie!  Gladys was more interested in the snowballs in her paws...

My bad ass spikes!  


It was so pretty! 

This was towards the end of the walk.. I wanted to get a pic of these two friends... 

Treats got their attention! 

They walked pretty well together most of the time... they both liked to zig zag for smells... and Gladys seemed to need to smell everything Amigo smelled... and Gladys, who is not a stick dog... even tried liking sticks along the way because Amigo carried a stick with him for part of the walk.  


This was a BEAUTIFUL place!  I think it will be one of my new favorite places to go... AND it will be a good workout with the hills.  This is a trail where you can test your abilities because of the ups and downs.  I would predict, in winter, that you will fall.  (My neighbor even fell once and she has mad skills!)  So you  may want to make sure you have someone with you for comic relief and moral support and.. just in case you need a hand getting back up!  

I am so fortunate to live in Maine... in a place where I have places like this to explore... by foot and by kayak!  And... for me, having the proximity to Portland is important.  

Happy Trails my friends! 








No comments:

Post a Comment