Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year.... from the BEACH!

Happy New Year!!! 

2018 was a pretty awesome year for me!  I was fortunate enough to meet new people, get recognition for my professional work and for my kayaking experience, have time with family and friends, and I got to experience all kinds of adventures!  I am grateful for 2018 - I believe that taking care of myself in 2018 contributed to all of the other good things that happened.... And I have no plans of stopping!!! 

2019 is gonna be awesome!  I am going to keep adventuring, keep trying new things... and keep working hard at everything I do!  

Today was a GREAT day to start 2019! 
After some precipitation last night, including the white kind, temps reached into the 50s!  So... Gladys and I headed to the beach, Pine Point.  It was quite windy there so it felt much cooler than 50 degrees, but it didn't stop us... it also didn't stop a lot of other people... the beach was packed!!!  

I tried to get a photo of how full the parking lot was, but... this doesn't show it well... trust me when I say it was pretty full, especially for a winter day! 

When we pulled in I saw horse trailers.  I was excited - I have been here before when people were horseback riding and I think it is very cool to have that opportunity.  Today people were not horseback riding, instead, there were three carriages.  

Gladys was very curious about the horses.  I didn't let her get too close as I have heard sometimes horses are spooked by dogs...and she would go up on her hind legs and would likely be spooky! 


If I didn't know it was January 1st, I would have thought it was summer on the beach!  The sky was clear, the sun was shining, and the people and other dogs were plentiful!  I have walked the beach in the summer with a lot less humans and dogs!  


I wasn't sure how far I wanted to walk... I thought about walking all the way from Pine Point to the pier at OOB... But as I was walking I started thinking about what I needed to do to get ready to return to school tomorrow... and decided after going 2 miles in one direction we would turn around... 


She had zero interest in a photo with me... too many other dogs to watch!  but look at that face!  


Gladys is such a great walking/activity partner.  I am excited to do more with her this winter.  She just loves winter!  On the walk back to Pine Point the wind was much cooler.  
I was glad I had worn something to keep my neck warm!!  

I have been investing in some winter gear to get me outside this winter... well to keep me warm while I venture outside... and am looking into other gear that will help keep me safe.  

So far I have bought snow pants, some clothes for layering (synthetic is recommended, just like kayaking due to its wicking ability and quick drying... who knew?!), socks (though I need a couple of more pairs), gaiters (I am excited to try these!), a hood/face/neck warmer thingy... 
 
I already have snowshoes and the gripper things for shoes... although I don't think the spikes on mine are long enough for real hiking... so I am investigating another pair...  If anyone has any recommendations I would LOVE to hear form you! 

I am also considering investing in some xc skis for myself... I can't believe I would do that because I have been so anti-winter for so long... but... if I can get into something in the winter that I enjoy even a fraction of how much I like kayaking... it would be worth it.  Recommendations on places to get used xc skis for someone 6'6" would be great!  I will check play it again sports!
(I KNOW I am invested in embracing winter because I recently took a snowshoeing event I want to do into consideration as a priority OVER a social opportunity...a social opportunity I rarely put any restrictions on!)  
And... I cannot believe I am about to type this... and if it wasn't going to be in print I would DENY this.. (especially to my friend Terri!)  I am excited for it to snow!  Yes, excited for some snow to be able to get outside to snowshoe and xc ski... and  whatever other adventures involve the snow!  
(Who am I?)

 After getting home... Gladys was one sleepy pup!  She spent the afternoon napping in her favorite bed.  (I recently moved it and didn't know if that would matter... I guess not!) 




Not sure what my next adventure will be... but stay tuned!!!  
In the meantime - share with me your adventures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment