Saturday, December 29, 2018

What does MaineKayakGirl DO when she isn't paddling....






So What Does MaineKayakGirl Do when she isn't paddling? 
That is a good question!!  Paddling is my absolute FAVORITE sport... but... I am working on embracing other activities... especially when I can't get on the water. 

... so this is a spin off blog from my blog about kayaking... when my kayaking locations are frozen or too cold to use safely... (I do not have a drysuit or a wetsuit... whichever is appropriate for winter paddling...)  I need to be DOing things...I need to be, want to be, active!  

Some history... 

Some of you know I started a journey last November (2017) to get healthier - to be more active.  Since that time I have lost over 100 lbs and feel great. (I have been doing Weight Watchers and walking as my primary activity...with a lot of kayaking of course... some zumba and some other activities.)  I know I can do more activities than I could when I started... and have been trying to say YES to things that have intimidated me... You may remember my paddleboarding experience which turned out pretty well!  (Despite the initial faceplant!)  I am looking forward to going again next season. 


We have entered the time of year I dread most... winter... (Although the days ARE getting longer at this point!!!)  I hate the darkness of the season... and the cold... when I was a kid we spent time outside- snowmobiling and cross country skiing... I loved xc skiing... then as I got older Basketball took priority (yes... I am 6'6" and I did play basketball!)  

As an adult, my ideas of outdoor activities in the winter have included walking back and forth to my vehicle... cleaning off my vehicle after snow... and that was about it... except for when I had my nephews with me... we did enjoy being up at the lake in the winter.. I really liked taking the four wheeler out on the lake and going pretty fast!!  

Then in January of 2017 I got Gladys...... 

She LOVES winter, loves being outside, loves the snow... and because she deserved to get outside, walking her became my reason to get outside.  I admit, there were times I enjoyed it, the quiet of it... especially right after a snowfall or during one.  But I still preferred the other season... KAYAKING SEASON!  

Then there was last winter... where I had just told myself I would be healthier and wanted to do more. I set goals for myself, activities I wanted to do over the winter. Those included snowshoeing (I had bought snowshoes a few years ago hoping I would try to use photography and snowshoes as a way to get outside..) and cross country skiing as well as some indoor exercise classes.  I really liked snowshoeing... though that cold be because I was with Shannon from FitMaine.com and I always have fun with her.  (Plus Gladys was able to come too!)  

I also really liked xc skiiing.  I fell down twice before I even started trying to ski!  Once while putting the skis on and once just after I got them on and turned my head to look at my friends... but after that I stayed upright.  

I want to rent skis again this winter and, if I like it again, maybe look into investing in a pair.  I like the idea of being able to take my own equipment to new places and explore... sounds a little bit like kayaking!!!  

So... I thought I would share some of my other adventures here, with you. Perhaps you will be entertained at my often self deprecating humor (I get that from my mom), perhaps you will be encouraged to try some new adventures, and perhaps you will reach out to me and invite me to try a new winter activity, (I am really interested in trying rock climbing - INSIDE- despite being afraid of heights... and also want to attempt ice skating, though I feel like that is a guaranteed way to hurt myself and likely get concussed... and I want to do a lot of adventures with the Fitmaine social club!), and perhaps you will tell me to stick to kayaking posts!  

This blog may differ from my kayaking blog... I may share more personal things here, especially related to my health wellness... the biggest part of my journey has been the mindset part of things... and I find I reflect a lot in order to keep myself where I want to be, where I feel my best.  

I invite you to join me on my non-paddling adventures!  
(And... if you have ideas of adventures I should try... let me know!)  

No comments:

Post a Comment